Friday 21 August 2009

THE ORIGINS OF HEY JOE

just thought this is something i should explain.
every Filipino without fail when seeing out white skin will either smile wave or shout "hey Joe"
at first the concept of them being astounded by the fact i was white and waving at me just because of the colour of my skin was bizzare enough. But then they were calling me a name which is just short of my own was beyond odd. i still find it strange that when so many other countries including our own shunt out anyone with a diffrent colour skin and will mutter ruse things under there breath Filipino's are always more than obliged to wave and smile and seem happy to see us and for all i have found so far for completely innocent reasons and have not tried to steal my money kidnap me or rape and declare war so maybe someone should tell nick griffin that there other races are kinder warmer and more welcoming than our own. British haven't quite worked it all out yet instead we are still mostly ignorant lazy and easy to complain and not that shy of war.

Which leads me on nicely to the origin of hey joe
back in the second world war the Americans settled here in order to fight the Japanese off the coast so there were soldiers everywhere and apparently the Filipinos used to call them all G.I Joe and the Americans finding it funny encouraged it and so it stuck and now every time they see a white face they associate it with that and say "hey joe"

this is just one story i have been told but i think it is kind of all those lines
this is not a great historical essay but parts of it kind of must be true
dont believe me then go ask the old guy i got talking to on Apo island called Tito boy
and see if you can get a clearer story

No comments:

Post a Comment