Wednesday 26 May 2010

Our escape Pt1

With the thought of death still pounding softly in my head. I spent a lot of Friday sitting reflecting, trying to ignore the warm patches that moistened my cheeks. Everything is made better as the sun slowly sets and evening creeps in. The van arrives and with it brings 12 of the people I hold closest. One of which my ‘Ate,’ my big sister who has just got back from manila bounding in with her usual unbelievable energy and bright smile. They bring in sleeping mats, pillows, a guitar, three large cool boxes full of fish from a day of hard work and a crate of beer. I suddenly know they are all I need to get right in my mind again. They will pick me up and set me back on my way, as we venture off on our get away.

The First few hours are filled with excited hurrying about the house. Some cooking in the kitchen, while others preparing and setting everything to make the weekend perfect. As soon as everything has wound down and everyone is well fed, we retire to the comfort of the porch table and slowly take down lugs of beer laughing. The more beer that’s drunk, the more we laugh and begin to talk of fond memories shared together. I go soft and sentimental realizing how much i am going to miss all of them. They have all been a crucial part of my time here and excepted me as family sharing time with me. This would not be where the memories stop, the weekend would bring some of the best memories and more laughter. Most of all hope right when i thought there was none. As the beer ran dry we parted for the few hours sleep we could manage, before an early start. Setting out on the road was to be our escape. As we walked inside the boys turned to me saying; “We will make this weekend good for you josh, because this is our last chance for a big party. We owe you so much and this is our way to say thank you. We don’t have much but we give all we can.” I was overwhelmed and completely touched. It was sad but true but I felt no sadness only excitement of our greatest adventure. The overwhelming feeling of gratitude towards everything they did for me for those very reasons.

The morning did not bring much but a weary head and a hangover. I scrambled for my bag picking up a pillow piling into the van with everyone else. All as heavy lidded and sleepy headed. I crawled onto the floor of the van and crawled in a ball falling asleep dreading the 6 hour drive but secretly smiling inside knowing what was to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment