Monday 16 November 2009

Police and Theives

Christmas came early, I got a parcel from home, mostly more letter clothes but also my Christmas present. It was a video camera as i had asked for one because there had already been too many times I had wanted permanently documented in history. The camera arrived full of home videos which I sat watching with a smile this being the closest i had been to my parents in months. I showed it to junior pointed out my dog, the place I used to work, and were we used to drink. After this i went and stashed the camera in my bag i had left a lot of valuable things back at the house in Negros, for fear they might up and leave. So i wrapped it in clothes and stashed it at the bottom of my bag. A week passed when i returned to it, it was juniors birthday and i thought this a perfect opportunity to take some videos so that he could remember becoming an old man forever. For an hour we took every item of clothing out of my bag moved everything in the house until i had to bitterly admit it had been stolen. I wouldn't admit it for ages determined it had been my own stupidity but there was no way. I had put it in my bag and not touched it since but someone else had. Its Not impossible to break into our house the windows are made of wood and locked each with a single nail into the window sill. The door is often left open during the day its too hot to keep it shut let alone too dark. Although there is always someone in the house often they will be sleeping when we are out the door is locked with a padlock so common it probably isn't much of a mission to find a key similar.

Everyone took it really hard, harder than me in fact, But i felt determined not to ruin juniors birthday and reassure everyone there was nothing more that could be done today. No one took it harder than junior i felt so guilty like i had ruined his birthday. I took all our friends (19 in total) out for lunch to a restaurant thats a personal favorite of junior, Mang Inaasal we often take trips there and he is always convinced that everyone wants to go there for there birthday. So i took the hint and we ate barbeque chicken and had a rice eating comp. I should probably mention the reason Mang Inaasal is such a favorite is because it offer unlimited rice. Which to Filipinos is like a religious sacrament, so i had 20 happy fillipino's as we had a few more join all for just over 20 pound.

We got back home and after what I like to call "rice belly comatose" i woke up refreshed and made an attempt at the police station. I wont describe the situation it was too frustrating but lets just say the police were about as useful as a hooker in a monestry. It was fairly safe to assume i wouldn't be seeing my camera again, at least not with there help.

The evening rolled in I felt bitter but did my best not to show it, I kept a brave face for junior. I knew he was wearing one too. Though it didn't stop the festivities usually i don't encourage juniors drinking like a beer or two but nothing heavy. This time though Tito nick invited us to his to celebrate the birthday of his nephew at his house. This seemed to consist of Karaoke, the boys, nuts and cheap whiskey with a tang juice chaser. I stopped early on to try and remain some composure and not be thrown into the rumor mill head first. Drinking problems are rife I encounter drunks almost everyday here and usually its not there birthday, i began to feel concerned junior might of drunk to much. though in hindsight he was nothing compared to some of the levels i had been in the past he didn't drink regularly and i wanted to keep it that way. We staggered home laughing, but as soon as we got to the house his mood changed. We had not been inside 5 minutes when he started to cry, i knew why. He sat crying into my leg hair as i soothed him gently telling him there was nothing he could of done. He sobbed and turned to me saying "i made a promise to your mother i would protect you. I shouldn't of let this happen." to which i solemnly replied "but im still here im not dead it was only a camera" "if i found who done this i will punch them" he said it so fiercely and it was a side of my brother i had never seen before. I made him a cup of coffee while he paced the room whilst he said he hurt me. I replied with more soothing tones my father had taught me and did my best to calm him. we sat on the floor him still crying quietly. Out of no where He began punching the wall next us i grabbed his arm and struggled with his strength but kept him restrained he turned his face to me and i smiled "you silly bugger" where all the words i could think to conjour "dont do that mate it really hurts in the morning."

It did He woke up the next day very sheepishly, he had redecorated the toilet bowl a few times in the night. He came and quietly apologized i laughed and threw my arm around him saying "i think we should stick to a couple beers from no on. Happy birthday brother" he smiled nervously. I did my best to not make him feel embarrassed, we spoke soberly bout how there was nothing either of us could of done. Once he finally seemed content we sat and had a coffee and vowed not to bring the night of his 24th birthday up. At least not for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment