Monday 16 November 2009

Hey Joe Pt 2

So im starting to get pretty used to people stopping and staring at me. To the guys who shout things out or the fact that every time someone asks my age the conversation goes like this "how old are you joe?" "18" "18?! but your so big!" "no im lying im really 47 and a half" which usually leaves them with a confused expression and me a clean get away. While i was staying in Payatas I used to take this long walk to urban which is kind of the place go for the market, barbers, to bid on live animals or avoid a dodgey looking resto-bar. The walk iss only made longer by two mammoth hills and the fact you have to keep changing sides where the path disappears into nothingness. You rarely see cars come down here even though technically it is a road although you will pretty much definitely need new suspension once you make it to your destination. Sometimes there will be a brave guy on a scooter who carefully makes his way past you at a speed so slow he might of well just walked you can guarantee this guy said his prayers before he left the house.

I always meet the same interesting characters on this walk and we always have the same conversation. there is the guy who always shouts "hey joe whats your name?" to which i reply of course my real name josh yet i always get the response "hey Joe" perhaps my mother gave me the wrong name i really am starting to wonder. Several other 'Cano' comments shouted at me I walk up to my last regular face. He is an old boy who sits outside his store and always gets up when he see's me coming. He shakes my hand saying "Come in joe how's life in japan" to which i was kindly decline and say "i have places to be but next time." So every time we play this scene as if it was the first. I have no clue why he thinks im Japanese unless he thinks he is living in Japan right now. Either way its fairly safe to say he is not all there, when we play our scene but i always leave him laughing away.

I got to urban for a haircut my grand-pops would of been proud of. For 35pence i got a "smart" haircut cut-throat razor shave finished by a nice shoulder massage. It was like a gentleman's barber from 1960's east London. To complete the full effect the sweet sounds of 'knock on wood by Sam and Dave' played out in the background. I left this time portal and went to fetch dinner from the market to take back to the house and use my culinary skills over a gas cooker.

A slice of everyday life for me here. Beyond all the horror stories there are a lot of quirky days off like this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment