Thursday 8 October 2009

four arranged marriages at a funeral

Emma has recently employed a driver mostly to take the girls to and from school while she is else where. His name is Rodel the same one who killed the dog on the way back from dumagety. So Rodel "the dog killer" is actually a really nice guy. Although from the way i have seen him handle a machete i wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him. Regardless i have had a lot of fun when he has been around. He always tries his best to get through a conversation with me even though he struggles with English. He has been the only one i have been able to have blokey conversations with while im here, the usual women and beer mostly.
I found out a few days ago his brother had died and last night he invited me to go to the wake. I felt honored to be invited but scared of what i was meant to do having never been to a wake before let alone one the other side of the world. I didn't know what to wear but i settled finally on the classic smart causal as we left and i saw Rodel in just a white vest and camo trousers i felt a little over dressed but didn't feel it would matter. We arrived outside a building with a sign that said memorial chapel i followed rodel mel and Jnr inside standing sheepishly behind.

We entered a partitioned room with a coffin at one end with candles either side. Solid wooden pews lined the way down. I passed people, nervous to look at there faces with my head down i followed them to the coffin. It was a open casket and as i stared into the face of rodels dead brother my whole body went numb. I had never seen a dead person before and for a split second i cherished life more than i ever had before. I felt strange dizzy and sick not because of the body but at the concept of death. As i turned round to look at the room i saw the faces of the people. They were not weeping or sobbing, there was no veiled widow. They were all laughing and joking there was a game of cards going on in the back corner. I instantly felt stupid for feeling emotional when i had never even met this man before in my life. I was introduced to his family one by one his wife sat reading a newspaper and was eager to strike up a conversation with me. I sat with the boys as Rodel brought me a coffee in a polystyrene cup. It only took minutes for reality to hit again and the conversation was the normal boyish humor i enjoyed to watch.

There were a few girls towards the front who had been looking around at me and giggling. I had become used to this kind of attention and I smiled. Rodel caught me smiling and instantly introduced me as "josh from england single" this was responded by a lot of girly giggling in approval. I didn't know what to say so hung my head embarrassed. I was shocked i couldn't believe i was being set up at a funeral, but rodel was convinced I should find a wife, as it would save me money at immigrationwith him. A notion i found amusing as a wife would probably be a lot more expensive in the long run. I was pleased when the conversation changed away from me, although it didnt take long before the girls came over to talk to us. Jnr began to talk to them and I half listened to words i understood my eyes still fixed on the coffin in front of me, unable to forget the face of rodels brother. Hours passed and it was getting late we had been talking and laughing with occassional games of chess. Rodel had dissapered and when he reappeard he carried four large bottle of red horse, the beer so strong that it doesnt even have the percentage on the bottle. We sat and drank and talked freely. As bizzare as it felt i was willing to meet this tradition, as Rodel and Jnr explained that in the philippines a wake was a chance to commerate all the good memories instead of sitting around crying. We shared cultural diffrences and laughed as more beer was poured. Two of the girls came and we spoke small talk the beer and talking continued until the next thing i knew it was half eleven and i had been asked for my number. This was a new experience to me i had never had someone ask ME for my number, the situation scared me. As far as i could work out i had just been approached and flirted at by the daughter of the man that lay in a white coffin. I felt like i had been disrespectful to give my number but still had the excited smile of flattery. We left soon after and took the wet journey back home smiling and laughing at what should of been a morbid evening.

I didnt know the man that i had gone to pay respects to, but from the people i met that night he must of had a good life with some very kind people around him. Sitting on wooden pews and playing chess my mind rife with thoughts of death soon made hazy by laughter and beer. I realized life is to be enjoyed and to seize every opportunity, there is no point sitting and thinking about how good it all could of been. When you are wasting the days that it can be. I felt asif i was living out all of his favorite things that night and although i had never met him i had been a part of his life if only for one night.

No comments:

Post a Comment